Friday, July 4, 2014

PB Swiss Swissgrip drivers

I have been using this set of PB Swiss flat and Phillips Swiss Grip drivers for about six months now, in my home shop, and here are some thoughts:

These are great screwdrivers.  The handles are tough but comfortable and the tips have held up well.  I am always leery of soft-grip type handles getting dirty (and staying dirty), but these clean up well enough with some soap or solvent.  No degradation of the handles either, and I have used lots of different chemicals to clean them up.




 photo pbswisscomfort_zpsdcf04d45.jpg

The handle tops are color coded by bit type- VERY nice when looking for a driver in a drawer.  The tops are also marked by size, with a visual of the fastener type:

 photo swissgrip_griffkappe_01_zps3a52a3d1.jpg

The handles have a texture, and are a bit squishy- but just a bit.  They are pretty firm for soft-grip handles.  The color-code tops are molded in, so you will not wipe off the size markings.

 photo pbswisscomforthandle_zps9f228d29.jpg


 photo pbswisscomfort-6_zps71b30cd3.jpg


 photo pbswisscomfort1_zps9b4169f0.jpg

The blade tips are where these really shine.  The flat drivers have parallel tips- sort of like hollow ground tips but WAY more precise.  They also have a black coating- that seems to hold up pretty well.  The flat tips also have chamfers on the corners of the tips- this is so the driver can go all the way into a counter-sunk screw and not mar the workpiece when you tighten things up.  In other words, the tip will fill the entire screw slot, but not protrude out the bottom of the screw head when using bugle-shaped screws, as a squared blade would do.  The tips are also marked by size- again, they seem to wear well.


 photo pbswisscomfort-2_zps00f6a2e0.jpg

 photo pbswisscomfort-5_zps49924831.jpg

 photo pbswisscomfort-3_zpsede215a9.jpg

My biggest concern with these drivers is probably unfounded- I was afraid of messing them up when doing the really dirty work.  When I needed to pry off a stuck brake pad from my car I set these aside and grabbed my Snap-on drivers.  I just did not want to get them dirty, or mess up the really nice tips.

For now, these have found a place in my workshop as assembly/ dis-assembly drivers.  When I am putting together any type of machinery, or driving a screw into furniture, and I don't want to harm the screw or the wood- I use these with confidence.  

They could probably act as chisels nicely, I just don't want to be the one to find out.

All in all- a lot of money to spend for a lot of screwdriver.  But these would be really, really hard to recommend for an average home shop.  They would also be hard to recommend for a pro mechanic shop- most industrial mechanical needs doesn't require the precision that these drivers provide.

For a woodworking shop, or a hobby-model shop, or a gunsmithing setup, these drivers are very, very good, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment