Saturday, December 7, 2013

PB Swiss ratcheting screwdriver

 photo pbswissdriver_zpsd361a671.jpg


There is a new boss in town- my PB Swiss ratcheting bit holder has arrived.  This is the older, non Swiss-grip version hard handle.  I like this one better due to the built in bit storage.  The Swiss-grip does not have bit storage, and I use ratcheting drivers for convenience, so I don't want to carry additional bit cases.  



 photo pbswissdriver-3_zpsccd2f68a.jpg The bit storage is different- a quick thumb-flip and the case pops up and out 90 degrees, exposing 10 bits that are held securely (via plastic "springs" in the holder) so they don't rattle around.  PB bits are the best in the business, I just need to figure out which 10 I want to carry around.

This driver is a bit lighter (8.5 vs 9.5 ounces) than the Snap-on Instinct soft handle ratcheting driver- with a full set of 10 bits each.  The handle has a smaller diameter also- but feels about the same size in hand, I think this is mostly to do with the triangle shape of the Snap-on.

The ratcheting action is on a different level than anything else I have used.  It is smooth, if a bit tight, and has almost no play at all.  This is one of the advantages to using a fixed shaft, vs. the Snap-on shafts which are interchangeable.  It just feels right, and the finish throughout is top tier.

 photo pbswissdriver-4_zps1374067a.jpg
The ratcheting direction (tighten-lock-loosen) can be flipped with one finger, but it does take some effort.  Not as easy as the Snap-on, but less chance of accidentally changing directions.

The bits snap into the holder firmly, with less play than any other driver I have used, and the shaft has a nice taper at the very tip.  The shaft itself is straight, with no knurling.  This, combined with the slightly tighter action of the ratchet, make it a bit harder to spin than the Snap-on, with its tapered and knurled shaft.  Not sure if this will be an issue long term.  My other concern is the fluted handle, and how much dirt and gunk will accumulate.  Time will tell on that one.  


 photo pbswissdriver-5_zps5256c3ff.jpg
Matt

2 comments:

  1. Matt - which of these two ratcheting screwdrivers would you buy if you were to purchase today?

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      If I were to buy one today I would go with the Snap-on soft handle ratcheting. The interchangeable shanks come in very handy, and the narrower shaft makes spinning screws out faster. They are both great, but the Snap-on just works better for me. (SO # SGDMRC44B).

      A story- I flew out to a job a few weeks ago and my luggage and toolkit were lost by the airlines. When they were finally located, everything (EVERYTHING) in my suitcase was broken. A Fluke 179 meter and a metal handled x-acto knife were both snapped in half. Combo wrenches were bent and basic chaos was everywhere. My Snap on screwdriver and two shafts had zero damage. Not sure if the PB Swiss would have survived, since the shaft is not removable, but it just reinforced the trust I have in the SO driver.

      Delete